[vpn-help] VPN client not supporting DHCP on host ? FIX SUCCESSFUL ! yet a minor glitch

Clemens Perz cperz at gmx.net
Fri Sep 10 13:41:24 CDT 2010

On 09/10/2010 07:52 PM, Clemens Perz wrote:

>>> thus, when I try to connect on some computer in the LAN using its
>>> name (not FQDN), the DNS resolution fails, and I have to remove the
>>> search line by hand - to my, this is minor, however, if you can
>>> polish it ...
>>>

>> There should be a way to resolve this using your OS supplied network
>> configuration tool. A simple fix would be to add mycompany.lan to your
>> search path so its always present.

A quick hack for lucid:

Edit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf and add

append domain-search "your.domain.here";

and reconnect your current connection. Next time you connect your VPN,
it has your domain search added.

Dont bother thinking to favour prepend over append - Networkmanager is
broken and always appends. I would love to prepend, but: not always.

If you append and search for names in your vpn domain, the first query
goes out using the local search domain. As a road warrior, you trigger a
full search in the dns. There is a good chance that while you are
connected to a local network your vpn dns will not be able to resolve
that domain at all. Thus you have to wait for the full timeout and face
a noticeable delay for all dns lookups on non fqdn's.

Prepending the domain so the search while you are connected and remove
it when you are not would be a good solution. Replacing the local search
in most cases the even better one - it would not be of any use in most
cases.

Cheers,
Clemens