[vpn-help] ASN.1 DN String Failure

tfar at slingshot.co.nz tfar at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Sep 12 03:06:07 CDT 2010

Shrew Soft VPNClient Ver 2.1.6
Windows 7 Professional
Openswan 2.6.28 on Centos 5.5 Server
Sierra UMTS USB 308 Aircard

I am looking for a suitable Windows 7 IPSEC VPN Client. Shrew Soft looks like it
might be a good option.

In the site configuration the Mutual RSA Authentication field will not retain
the ASN.1 Distinguished Name string that is entered in to the identification
field. It will also not retain the Subject string loaded directly from the
certificate.

All I get after clicking on save is the first four characters of the string,
C=NZ. The remainder of the string is missing.

I am using x.509 certificates which are in use and working well on other Linux
and Windows XP clients. I know the certificates are valid and I have not had
any issue with the identifiers before.

The normal string definition uses comma separators and single spaces between
elements. I have tried changing the delimiters to / without spaces and these
are retained in the field but then the authentication fails.

I have not found any ASN.1 issues reported in the list or bug system apart from
a changelog entry going back a long time ago.

Is there possibly still an issue parsing ASN.1 strings?

I would appreciate any advice about how to resolve this.

Tony