[vpn-help] 'gateway is not responding' problem with Shrew soft VPN client

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Aug 31 21:12:10 CDT 2011

On 08/31/2011 10:28 AM, KrishnaMohan Bandi wrote:
> Another thing I wanted to say was the same client configuration perfectly
> works when I try from
> a Windows XP machine. The tunnel is always established and I do not see any
> issues at all. On
> both the Windows and Linux, the client version is same (2.1.7). I do not
> understand what is that
> Windows XP does to get the tunnel established and Linux is not doing. Please
> note that firewall
> has been disabled on both the machines.
>
> Regards,
> KM
>
> On 31 August 2011 15:13, KrishnaMohan Bandi<krishnamohan.bandi at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>>   Problem:
>>
>> The VPN client fails to connect to my gateway.
>> After clicking connect, the client reports the tunnel is
>> enabled and it stays on for ~15-20 seconds and shows
>> *'gateway is not responding'* message before disabling the tunnel.
>> When it says the tunnel is enabled, I do not see any Security
>> Association (SAs) Established/Expired/Failed under the Network tab.
>> Another most annoying thing is, the same client configuration works
>> on windows. I do not understand what is that Windows OS does to get
>> the tunnel established and missing from Linux OS. On both Windows
>> and Linux, the firewall is disabled.
>>
>> To Reproduce:
>>
>> Connect to any Digi Transport DR64 VPN Gateway.
>>
>> VPN Client Version = 2.1.7 release
>> Unix OS Version = Ubuntu 10.04 LTS; kernel: 2.6.32-31-generic
>> Gateway Make/Model = Digi Transport DR64
>> Gateway OS Version = Not known
>>
>> ikedebug-31082011.tgz [attachment]
>>
>> Any help on this is highly appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> KM

Hi KM,

Something that would be helpful is for you to produce a log output from
both the Windows machine and the Linux machine for us to compare, using
the instructions on these pages:
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnUnix

Another thing to try would be the latest Shrew 2.2.0 beta, which can be
downloaded from http://www.shrew.net/download, although you may need to
build it yourself.

Out of curiousity, are either of the OSes in a virtual machine?