[vpn-help] reinstall problems

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Feb 7 12:48:25 CST 2011

On 2/7/2011 12:27 PM, Paul Theodoropoulos wrote:
> i've had this problem with all 2.2.0 versions - whenever i attempt a
> reinstall, my system bluescreens while the previous version is being
> removed. win7 64bit, realtek ethernet hardware/drivers. i have no
> wireless on this system. curiously, on my work laptop that does have
> wireless, reinstall does not bluescreen.

I have seen Realtek device drivers cause problems many times before.
Have you updated them to use the the latest revision for your chipset?

There were very minor changes to the Shrew Soft drivers between 2.1.7
and 2.2.0. In fact, I just submit them to WinQual yesterday for final
certification and they passed with no issues. That means these driver
binaries will be the version included in the 2.2.0 release, just with
the additional Microsoft signatures.

> one might ask why i reinstall sometimes. well, also with the 2.2.0
> versions, if i've used the vpn previously, and later my PC has gone into
> sleep mode, after coming out of sleep, i can no longer use the vpn. i
> either get 'failed to attach to key daemon' - or it'll go through the
> full sequence of reconnecting to the vpn apparently successfully - but
> i'll be unable to actually use the connection - my ssh sessions just
> time out. on my work laptop, all i need do is run a reinstall, and then
> the vpn will work again. but on my PC, as above, the reinstall bluescreens.

Does stopping/starting the Shrew Soft ike/ipsec services resolve this
issue or are you forced to re-install the software? It would also be
helpful to see debug level output for this scenario if possible.