[vpn-help] DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Jan 13 12:18:55 CST 2011

On 1/13/2011 11:35 AM, rdklotz at optonline.net wrote:
> I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer with an Intel i7 CPU, 64 bit
> operating system and Windows 7 Home Premium. I installed shrew 2.1.7
> (and also tried 2.1.6). It installs without problem. However, when I try
> to reboot my computer, it won't reboot and gets the following error:
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the blue screen of death.
> The only way to resolve the problem (I tried uninstalling shrew but
> it didn't help) is to restore a previous configuration from a few days ago.
> This looks like a driver problem. I have seen reports that say the
> driver vfilter.sys might be the culprit. I need to use shrew to connect
> to my office computer but I don't know how to get this to work.

Hi Rita,

You have seen reports where? The 2.1.7 VPN Client version includes a
driver set that easily passes all Microsoft Winqual LWF certifications.
I'm inclined to believe that your workstation has an Ethernet chipset
with less than mature drivers or you have installed another LWF driver
that may interfere with the Shrew Soft driver ( ie, another VPN client
or 3rd party security software ).

I don't see any answer to Kevin's question about additional VPN client
software you may have installed on the machine.