[vpn-help] Trendnet BRV324 VPN router

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Tue Jun 21 19:55:29 CDT 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 06:27:38 -0400
charles morrison <charlie2 at ledgible.com> wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> The instructions to get a VPN trace need clarification.
>
> I do not know of any VPN trace application. Where can I get that?
>
> I have now been able to get Shrewsoft to connect to the Trendnet
> router, but cannot browse the network. If I connect through wifi, I
> get the network browsing. If I connect through my ATT aircard, I
> cannot. I also cannot ping network addresses.
>
> I am sure if I could get the trace for you, you could tell me which
> end of the tunnel is having a problem.
>
> On the client side, I am running Windows 7.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie Morrison
>

> On 6/20/2011 9:39 PM, kevin vpn wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:55:24 -0400
> > Charles Morrison<eplurib at earthlink.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> Matt,
> >>
> >> We recently purchased a Trendnet BRV 324 router and have been
> >> unable to get the VPN to work. I have played with it quite a bit,
> >> and I can't find any information to assist me in debugging this.
> >>
> >> Where can I go, or what can I do to get this working?
> >>
> > Hi Charlie,
> >
> > If there's no howto for the Trendnet router, we can try to figure
> > out the problems based on output from the Shrew client and the
> > router logs itself.
> >
> > This link explains how to get output from Shrew:
> > *http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows
> > *
> > It is important to have the router logs too.

Hi Charlie,

Good to hear you're making progress!

The VPN Trace Utility is part of the Shrew Soft install.  You should be
able to pick it from the Programs -> ShrewSoft VPN program group.
Remember to right-click and Run As Administrator if User Access Control
does not prompt you.

The problem browsing the network may be related to DNS settings if
you've got the Policy set to Tunnel All.  You can specify DNS settings
to use through the VPN in the site configuration.

The problem with the ATT aircard may be related to lack of support for
UMTS devices.  Try upgrading to the Shrew 2.2.0 beta to see if that
helps.