[vpn-help] Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter

Andrew Keys akeys at cooperkeys.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 17:25:35 CDT 2011

Hi

I'm looking for some help please.

Firstly can I say that I have Shrew Soft (2.1.7) VPN Client working
successfully on a Samsung Netbook running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit with
a Vodafone USB dongle to my Draytek 2920Vn router.

The problem I have is with a Dell XPS M1330 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64
bit with a Dell 5520 Wireless Broadband adapter (again connecting to
Vodafone), although I use the same configuration as the Samsung Netbook I
cannot get a connection.

On investigation I have found that the Dell 5520 Broadband adapter does not
have the Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter service associated with it when
looking in the adapter's 'networking' tab; however both the Ethernet adapter
and the WLAN adapter show this service as being present.

I have tried to add the service by browsing to the relevant Shrew Soft 'inf'
file, but whilst it shows  as available to add it does not actually add and
does not return any errors.

I have tried both VPN client 2.1.7 and 2.2.0 beta 1 with no success.

Any advice would be gratefully received, please let me know if you require
any further details.

Regards

Andrew Keys

Cooper Keys Limited