[vpn-help] Help with vpn client connecting to Symantec SGS 440

VINCE P CARTER vcarter46 at msn.com
Sun May 8 16:50:02 CDT 2011

Has anyone had any experience using the Shrew Soft vpn client (2.1.7) with a Symantec SGS 440 gateway?  The Symantec client is not compatible with Windows 7, and so I have successfully installed the Shrew soft vpn client (64-bit OS), but I can't seem to get the client to connect to the gateway.  I get the following when I try to connect:

config loaded for site 'nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn'
configuring client settings ...
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
remote id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
negotiation timout occurred
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...

I suspect it is failing on the Phase1 authentication, but I am not sure what parameters it is looking for.  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.