[vpn-help] Windows 7 client 2.1.7 and NetGear FVS328 router

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon May 16 13:07:25 CDT 2011

On 5/13/2011 10:56 AM, David Durgee wrote:
> I am attempting to setup the 2.1.7 client to work with the above noted
> router, as the NetGear client I have running in XP is not compatible
> with W7 and I am not "entitled" to a free upgrade to the client that is
> W7 compatible. As this is still being accessed by others using the
> NetGear client on XP I need to pretty much leave the router
> configuration alone and configure your client to match.
>
> I have succeeded in configuring the IKE phase 1 to work using aggressive
> Pre-shared key as the NetGear client does, but I have had no success in
> getting phase 2 to establish the functional tunnel. Everything I have
> tried thus far gets a NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN from the FVS328 router, so I am
> somehow not managing to provide the netgear what it expects.
>
> Has anyone set this up before? I have seen references to an FVS318,
> which is a somewhat earlier router, so I hope that this should be
> workable. I can provide logs from both the FVS328 and the 2.1.7 client
> if this will help with suggestions.

It works in my lab with the settings in the wiki document. I believe
some folks on the list have stated there is a problem when modecfg is
not used. I have yet to verify this. You should definitely upgrade your
router to the latest available firmware. The stock firmware on some
devices just won't work.