[vpn-help] Windows 7 client 2.1.7 and NetGear FVS328 router

David Durgee dhdurgee at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 10:56:01 CDT 2011

I am attempting to setup the 2.1.7 client to work with the above noted router, as the NetGear client I have running in XP is not compatible with W7 and I am not "entitled" to a free upgrade to the client that is W7 compatible.  As this is still being accessed by others using the NetGear client on XP I need to pretty much leave the router configuration alone and configure your client to match.

I have succeeded in configuring the IKE phase 1 to work using aggressive Pre-shared key as the NetGear client does, but I have had no success in getting phase 2 to establish the functional tunnel.  Everything I have tried thus far gets a NO-PROPOSAL-CHOSEN from the FVS328 router, so I am somehow not managing to provide the netgear what it expects.

Has anyone set this up before?  I have seen references to an FVS318, which is a somewhat earlier router, so I hope that this should be workable.  I can provide logs from both the FVS328 and the 2.1.7 client if this will help with suggestions.

Dave