[vpn-help] Trace Utility Question

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Tue Oct 11 19:28:59 CDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 09:01 AM, Stephen West-Fisher wrote:
> I have one laptop that the ShrewSoft client has stopped working on. All
> other machine are fine, and this one worked when it was first installed.
>
> I'm not seeing any activity at the firewall when I try to connect, and I
> don't see anything on the trace utility as well. Could someone point me to
> specific documentation or give me a blow by blow description of how to use
> the trace utility?

Hi Stephen,

For the first problem, it may be due to a known conflict between Shrew
client 2.1.7 on Windows 7 and the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport
adapter (http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions).
You can solve this problem either by disabling the Virtual WiFi Miniport
adapter or by upgrading to one of the Shrew client 2.2.0 betas.

For the second problem (trace utility), you have to do two things: 1)
you must run it in Administrator mode, and 2) you have to change the Log
output level in the File -> Options menu.  A level of 'informational' is
usually fine.  You should then restart the IPSEC Service, DNS Service
and IKE Service and click on 'Open Log' on the IKE Service tab to see
the useful output.