[vpn-help] 2.1.7 and Windows 7 hangs till reboot

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Sep 7 22:21:55 CDT 2011

On 09/06/2011 07:46 AM, Michael Kolowicz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i using without problems Client 2.1.7 on Windows XP. Now I installed it on
> Windows 7 x64. Same VPN Config as Windows XP to the remote Client.
>
> When I connect it works all fine. Then I disconnect from remote - my Windows
> 7 is not more able to connect Internet until I reboot the machine. Have
> someone an idea? What more information's are for you helpful`?

Hi Michael,

Do you by any chance have a program running that manages your network
connections, for instance a program by the hardware vendor?  Laptops
often have a 'connection manager' or something like that for managing
wireless connections.

When Shrew establishes a VPN, it modifies the networking stack in
Windows to add a virtual network adapter for the VPN and to
intercept/redirect traffic through the VPN.  It also modifies Windows'
routing table.

I wonder if perhaps some network manager program is also monitoring your
network stack and gets confused by the virtual adapter.  For instance,
when the VPN disconnects and the virtual adapter is removed, perhaps
that manager program fails to allow the routing table to be reset back
to the way it was before the VPN.

You can check the status of your routing table in Windows by opening a
'cmd' prompt.  Issue the command 'route print' to see your routing table
before connecting the VPN.  Then connect to the VPN and issue 'route
print' again to see how it has changed.  Then disconnect and check
'route print' a third time.  The routing table should be basically the
same as the first.  The key route to observe should be the 'Network
Destination' 0.0.0.0.