[vpn-help] Win7 x64 Traffic Fails to Route

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Sep 22 20:40:08 CDT 2011

On 09/21/2011 10:26 PM, Steve Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been testing the shrew vpn 2.1.7 and latest beta
> on a win7 x64 system along with a winXP laptop. VPN
> connections are going to a Fortigate firewall and work
> fine on the XP machine. On the win7 machine though the
> packets fail to route over the VPN regardless if I tell
> it to send all traffic over the tunnel or not. I have
> found that if I change the adapter mode to "use existing"
> it correctly sends traffic over the tunnel. However, I
> need the machine to be assigned a specific IP when
> communicating over the tunnel. I have tried disabling
> the system's firewall but no luck. In both scenarios the
> Fortigate shows the VPN connection from my machine with
> all the correct parameters. IP settings of my machine and
> routes from the tunnel also show up correctly. Is there
> something specific I need to do on my machine to get it
> to actually use the VPN?

Hi Steve,

This sounds a bit like another problem we found recently.  Basically
what happens is that the metric assigned to the tunnel route is of lower
priority than some other route (like the default 0.0.0.0 route).

See if this thread on Windows 7's automatic route metrics is of any help
to you:

http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-September/003996.html