[vpn-help] Mac OSX VPN Client Testing ... problems on 10.5.8 Leopard

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Apr 4 20:59:33 CDT 2012

On 04/04/2012 08:57 PM, Kevin VPN wrote:
> [...]

Hi list,

In addition to Matthew's comments above, there is also a known bug that
DNS settings don't work correctly.  Someone posted a patch, but it has
not been integrated into the code yet
(http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-November/004105.html).

Anyway, my problems.  These occurred on a box running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

1. Install clobbers the /etc symlink.
2. Shrew does not seem to run, it crashes immediately.

Descriptions:

1. Install clobbers the /etc symlink.

On OS X 10.5 (and I think 10.6), /etc is really a symlink to
/private/etc.  However the Shrew build installer does not seem to follow
the symlink and instead creates a /etc directory (destroying the
symlink) and puts iked.conf and iked.conf.sample into the folder.  The
result of this is that OS X starts to throw errors like mad because
applications can no longer find their conf files in /etc.  The machine
will also not boot and it will not provide useful information.

To fix this, boot off the Install DVD, open a terminal, navigate to the
HD, blow away etc and create a symlink for private/etc:

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD
cd etc
rm iked.*
cd ..
rm etc
ln -s private/etc etc

You can then boot from the HD normally.

If you also have the Developer Tools CLI installed, you can re-establish
the extended attributes on etc (which hide it in Finder).

SetFile -P -a V etc

Then reboot so Finder picks up the new invisible attribute.

2. Shrew does not seem to run on 10.5.8, it crashes immediately.

Even with QT and tun/tap installed, Shrew crashes as soon as it is
launched.  There's no error message that I can see.

Has anyone had success getting the build of Shrew to run on OS X 10.5.x?