[vpn-help] Problem with Openswan Gateway

Maragkos, Panagiotis panagiotis.maragkos at siemens-enterprise.com
Wed Apr 25 02:32:00 CDT 2012

Problem:

Shrewsoft VPN client can connect to the GW only for the first time. If I disconnect and try to reconnect again the negotiation is successfull both Main mode and Quick mode, but there is no traffic. VPN client shows that the tunnel is enable. At the GW the tunnel is established.
>From the analysis of the wireshark i can see that GW receives and sends ESP packets but hte VPN client only sends. VPN client does not receive any ESP. This can be seen also form the Security Associatons of VPN client Trace Utlity. The incoming SPI has 0 Bytes.

To Reproduce:

Shrewsoft VPN client version: 2.1.7
Windows OS version: Windows XP SP2
Gateway OS: Open Suse 11.1 (K2.6.27.56-0.1.1-default)
Gateway IPSEC version: Openswan U2.6.37

Connect to an Openswan Gateway disconnect and try to reconnect. Authentication mode is mutual PSK.

Attached data contains only .cap, but i can provide any trace log on request.

Panagiotis Maragkos
Software Engineer
Siemens Enterprise Communications A.E.
Metaxa 15
14564 Kato Kifissia
Athens, Greece
Building Γ  - 1st Floor

Tel:      0030-210-8196468
e-mail:  panagiotis.maragkos at siemens-enterprise.com<mailto:panagiotis.maragkos at siemens-enterprise.com>
Siemens Enterprise Communications, Inc. is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.
This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They contain privileged and/or confidential information, attorney work product or other information protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.