[vpn-help] VPN not working after Microsoft KB 2771431

remi at eunet.no remi at eunet.no
Thu Dec 20 16:16:02 CST 2012

VPN Client Version
Shrew VPN client 2.2.0 rc2

Windows OS version
Windows 8

Gateway
Cisco ASA

Gateway OS version
Not sure (can be obtained if neccesary)

the VPN client connects and says tunnel up, but I cant connect to anything either in the tunnel or outside the tunnel.
Ping works, but not web services or SMB file shares or DNS lookup.
I've tried connecting to SMB shares via IP and http servers via IP, but is unable to connect.

I'm pretty sure this situation came about with windows 8, December update (KB 2771431) installed December 15th. unfourtunatly this particular update cant be uninstalled.
the client was working up untill december 13th, I've removed all other updates dating back to the 13th except the unremovable december rollup.
I updated to the 2.2.0 rc2 from rc1 when I couldnt connect to after the 13th. and i've degraded to rc1 again and back up to rc2 but no luck getting the VPN in a working state.
Any suggestions, besides a factory reset?

Kind regards
Remi