[vpn-help] VPN not working after Microsoft KB 2771431

Till Büttner tbuettner at m2soft.com
Fri Dec 21 01:09:05 CST 2012

Good Morning Remi,

> the VPN client connects and says tunnel up, but I cant connect to anything
> either in the tunnel or outside the tunnel.
> Ping works, but not web services or SMB file shares or DNS lookup.
> I've tried connecting to SMB shares via IP and http servers via IP, but is
> unable to connect.

i had the same Problem. Does'nt matter what i did, the Virtual Network
said "target not available".

> I'm pretty sure this situation came about with windows 8, December update
> (KB 2771431) installed December 15th. unfourtunatly this particular update
> cant be uninstalled.
> the client was working up untill december 13th, I've removed all other
> updates dating back to the 13th except the unremovable december rollup.
> I updated to the 2.2.0 rc2 from rc1 when I couldnt connect to after the
> 13th. and i've degraded to rc1 again and back up to rc2 but no luck getting
> the VPN in a working state.
> Any suggestions, besides a factory reset?

I don't think it is the December update (KB 2771431). I did a factory
refresh (not reset) and afterwards installed the available Updates and
i have no problem until now.

VPN Client Version
Shrew VPN client 2.2.0 rc2

Windows OS version