[vpn-help] Priority for Adapter Specific DNS Servers ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Feb 15 19:31:22 CST 2012

All,

For the longest time I thought there was no way to manually influence
the order in which windows prioritizes adapter specific DNS servers. I
ran across this solution the other day and wanted to share it with the
mailing list. Apparently, the DNS server priority is directly related to
binding order of the associated adapter ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311218

If you bump up the binding order of the adapter, the DNS servers that
are associated with that adapter will be preferred over other adapters
when performing name resolution. For example: By bumping up the Shrew
Soft Virtual Adapter in the binding order, the DNS servers associated
with that adapter will be preferred over other adapters set to a lower
binding order ( when the VPN client is active ).

Hope this helps someone,