[vpn-help] EL6 client?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Feb 25 23:58:29 CST 2012

Hi List -

I'm looking into whether there is a way to get the Shrew Soft VPN client
working with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.X (or clones such as Scientific
Linux or CentOS).  I have a working configuration installed on a Fedora
Core 16 system but I need it working on EL6.  I noticed that folks who
usually provide an RPM such as EPEL, rpmforge, ATrpms, etc. don't have
one for EL6 which I'm taking as a hint that there is a deeper problem
than just building the rpm.  I also noticed that the client doesn't work
on my development EL6 box regardless of whether I build from the archive
available for download here or build from a backport of the source rpm
from Fedora 16.  Both of these approaches result in a clean build that
installs, logs into my VPN server and appear to get packets back to the
client but not back to the program such as ping or ssh that attempted to
connect over the VPN.

Has anyone looked into building a statically linked version of iked (the
other pieces appear to work) under Fedora? Anyone succeed?

Thanks,
Dave

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

- Ayn Rand