[vpn-help] Mac OS Lion Error on VPN Connection

Ali Akbar Sohanghpurwala ali at concorr.com
Thu Jan 26 14:59:33 CST 2012

Kevin:

I have been using Shrew VPN Client on my windows machines for some time now without any problems.  I am not an expert in VPN but I have managed to follow setup instructions and get it to work.  I have a Juniper SSG5 at work and I VPN into it.  Recently I purchased a MacBook Pro with OS Lion.  I have installed and Parallels and Win 7 in the virtual machine.

At first I installed Shrew VPN Client 2.17 on the Win 7 exactly the way I have on my other machines and it gave me an error.  So I obtained the instructions from your site and installed 2.2 on OS Lion.  It also gives me the same error.  On the laptop it goes all the way up to bringing up the tunnel and then fails with the following message:

"negotiation timeout occurred, tunnel disabled, detached from key daemon"

On the Juniper SSG5 I get the following message:

"Rejected an IKE packet on ethernet0/0 from 173.14.113.251:1471 to 173.14.113.251:500 with cookies f4cfdea6709b14e8 and 0000000000000000 because An initial Phase 1 packet arrived from an unrecognized peer gateway."

Where should I start to look for possible problems?

Ali Akbar Sohanghpurwala
President
CONCORR, Inc.
45710 Oakbrook Court, Suite 160