[vpn-help] Help with Linux ShrewSoft VPN Client [2.1.7]

Brian O'Mahony Brian.OMahony at ie.ibm.com
Mon Jun 11 09:17:26 CDT 2012

I have recently set up a redhat machine to do some testing remotely, and
have put the Shrew Soft VPN client on my machine. I am using the exact
same policy that my machine was using when it was set up windows, and am
using the exact same laptop.
I enter my username and password, the system connects, and on the network
tab shows "Established - 1". The guy that does the internal networks has
told me that he can see the DNS requests from my remote machine, and they
are being responded to, and they are coming as far bask as the firewall,
and should be going to the requesting machine.

However no ping/nslookup works.

IPTABLES is turned off, and SELINUX is set to permissive.

Not having a huge amount of experience troubleshooting VPNs, I am
wondering where to start. As the machine pretty much shows the connection
as establisheshed, I am guessing it is something on the linux side.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any logs can be provided ofc.

Regards