[vpn-help] Help with Linux ShrewSoft VPN Client [2.1.7]

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Tue Jun 12 20:50:22 CDT 2012

On 06/11/2012 10:17 AM, Brian O'Mahony wrote:
> I have recently set up a redhat machine to do some testing remotely, and
> have put the Shrew Soft VPN client on my machine. I am using the exact
> same policy that my machine was using when it was set up windows, and am
> using the exact same laptop.
> I enter my username and password, the system connects, and on the network
> tab shows "Established - 1". The guy that does the internal networks has
> told me that he can see the DNS requests from my remote machine, and they
> are being responded to, and they are coming as far bask as the firewall,
> and should be going to the requesting machine.
>
> However no ping/nslookup works.
>
> IPTABLES is turned off, and SELINUX is set to permissive.
>
> Not having a huge amount of experience troubleshooting VPNs, I am
> wondering where to start. As the machine pretty much shows the connection
> as establisheshed, I am guessing it is something on the linux side.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Any logs can be provided ofc.

Hi Brian,

You may want to look at this thread to see if it affects you, although
if you installed Shrew from a repository, the install process should
take care of it for you:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2008-November/000950.html

You can also generate a log file that we can look at using the
instructions here (remember to change your IPs/usernames):
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnUnix