[vpn-help] VPN problem with Juniper SSG-140 (6.3.0r9.0)

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Mon Mar 12 18:44:18 CDT 2012

On 03/09/2012 08:14 AM, Comtois, Luc wrote:
> Hello,

<snip>
> I am having a issue creating a vpn between my Windows 7 Enterprise
> sp1 32bit machine with Shew Soft vpnclient ver 2.1.7 and my Juniper
> SSG-140 ver 6.3.0r9.0.
>
> I followed the procedure
> http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoJuniperSsg and read a bunch of
> post about similar issues but I am unable to make it work.
>
> On the firewall I am getting this error message:
>
> Rejected an IKE packet on ethernet0/0 from x.x.x.x:500 to y.y.y.y:500
> with cookies 0568dc4dfbfdf45c and 0000000000000000 because an initial
> Phase 1 packet arrived from an unrecognized peer gateway.

Hi Luc,

That message means that the VPN gateway did not recognize the Shrew
client.  It identifies itself using the Local Identity on the
Authentication tab in the Site Configuration.  This suggests a mismatch
between what Shrew is sending and what the gateway is expecting.

There is a typo in the SSG Howto that would cause this error.  See this
post for details:
http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2011-March/003622.html