[vpn-help] Mac OSX VPN Client Testing ...

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Nov 21 20:41:43 CST 2012

On 10/08/2012 10:05 AM, The Rickeards wrote:
> Hi Matthew.
>
> Thankyou for your efforts.
>
> Shrew works very well with my particular ADSL modem and its
> strongswan IPSEC VPN implementation, but I was using it in a winXPSP2
> VM running on my Macbook.
>
> I wanted to run it natively on MacOSX.5.8 rather than the VM, so I
> followed your instructions.
>
> As requested I am feeding back some issues that I had.
>
> After installing all 3 packages, I was unable to run the shrew admin
> GUI, so I restarted the macbook. It failed to show the login window,
> instead it appeared to be looping at the windowserver just prior to
> this phase.
>
> I inspected the install logs from a single user session and saw a
> number of failed sudo attempts with PAM errors just prior to the
> completion of the shrew install.

Hi Jeff,

I had an experience where the Shrew client installer accidentally
clobbered the /etc symlink.  Basically, OS X's /etc directory was really
a symlink to somewhere else, but the Shrew installer actually created a
/etc directory to put the iked.conf file in - but that meant that the
symlink was replaced.

My symptom was that the Macbook would seem to boot but not give a login
prompt, just a perpetually spinning wheel.