[vpn-help] Mac OSX VPN Client Testing ...

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Nov 22 07:37:05 CST 2012

On 11/21/2012 10:54 PM, Matthew Grooms wrote:
> On 11/21/2012 8:37 PM, Kevin VPN wrote:
>>
>> Secondly, on one version of OS X, the Shrew Soft VPN client install
>> accidentally overwrote the symbolic link to the the /etc directory,
>> making the system unusable after a reboot.  (Fortunately I was able to
>> repair it using the OS X install CD filesystem repair.)
>>

> Kevin,
>
> I actually hadn't noticed that /etc is a symlink to /private/etc. Is it
> that way on all versions of OSX or is that just a Lion thing? The pkg
> system I use is Iceburg. Initially we started out with the Apple Xcode
> packaging software, but it was so awfully buggy I had to go with the
> alternative. It's configured to copy the file into /etc so I'm not sure
> why it would overwrite the symlink. But if that's the normal directory
> structure, it could be installed to /private/etc instead. I'm by no
> means an OSX expert, so I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to
> do or not.

Hi Matthew,

IIRC, I experienced the problem on Snow Leopard 10.6, but it may have
actually been a Leopard 10.5 machine (it was an older box).  Regardless,
it's been symlinked that way for a while now.

However, I don't think the problem shows up all the time, since
otherwise the list would be chock full of reports of the Shrew OS X
build bricking their boxes.