[vpn-help] Mac OSX VPN Client Testing ...

The Rickeards rickeard at exemail.com.au
Mon Oct 8 08:59:41 CDT 2012

Hi Matthew.

Thankyou for your efforts.

Shrew works very well with my particular ADSL modem and its strongswan IPSEC VPN implementation, but I was using it in a winXPSP2 VM running on my Macbook.

I wanted to run it natively on MacOSX.5.8 rather than the VM, so I followed your instructions.

As requested I am feeding back some issues that I had.

After installing all 3 packages, I was unable to run the shrew admin GUI, so I restarted the macbook. It failed to show the login window, instead it appeared to be looping at the windowserver just prior to this phase.

I inspected the install logs from a single user session and saw a number of failed sudo attempts with PAM errors just prior to the completion of the shrew install.

removing the shrew iked launchd item did not cure the issue.

I restored an image and re-installed the product, this time restarting after each installer. I was able to confirm that it was the shrew install that caused the issue.

I am restoring again and intend running the 10.5.8 combo updater post the shrew install prior to the restart. This is to fix any files that may be overwritten by the shrew installer, that may be shouldn't have been.

I was particularly concerned by the PAM issue and wondering if you had any thoughts or suggestions.

Cheers

Jeff Rickeard.