[vpn-help] Windows 8/Shrewsoft Issue

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Aug 8 21:54:08 CDT 2013

On 07/30/2013 02:38 PM, Korey Rebello wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio Laptop running Windows 8 and using Shrewsoft
> version 2.2.0.
>
> I am able to connect to my VPN with no issues. I get my login banner
> and everything. For some reason once I am connected I cannot access
> any network resources via the VPN (ie: shared folders, apps, docs,
> etc. . )
>
> I have tried several versions of Shrewsoft with this particular
> laptop and I get the same result with each one. I have tried
> disabling my Firewall and still get the same result.
>
> I know my VPN configuration file is good because when I take the same
> file and use it on a Windows 7 laptop it works and all network
> resources are reachable.
>
> I could not locate this similar issue anywhere on the site. Any
> ideas?

Hi Korey,

On the VPN Connect dialog, network tab, can you see if there's any
Security Associations successfully established?  If not, can you produce
a bug report for us?
https://www.shrew.net/support/VPN_Bug_Report_Windows

Does the Win8 laptop maybe think that the network behind the VPN is a
"Public" network, meaning that by default it's not trusted for things
like shares, etc?

I'd also suggest upgrading to Shrew 2.2.2 to see if that makes a
difference - while it doesn't have any fixes specifically for what
you're describing, it does have some important fixes from 2.2.0.