[vpn-help] IKE Servcie crashing or noresponsive after computer sleeps

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Fri Aug 9 02:08:47 CDT 2013

On 9/8/2013 6:08 πμ, Kevin VPN wrote:

> I standby my machine every night with the VPN connected.  When I wake
> the machine the next day, Shrew auto-reconnects without an issue.

Thanks for your feedback. Based on reports on this list, you are the
exception!

> I'm doing this on a wired PC however, so maybe wireless devices are
> different - and it may also be adapter specific.  Mine is a Realtek.

I am on a wired Dell (Inspiron 7520) laptop with a "Realtek PCIe GBE
Family Controller".

> Another thing to consider is the power management settings. Mine
> machine is set to never sleep (only manually) but I do have my adapter
> power settings set to enable "Allow the computer to turn off this
> device to save power," but I know a lot of people disable this
> setting.  Maybe Shrew looks for a power management signal and uses
> that as the trigger to tear down the tunnel and quiesce itself.

This setting is enabled on my adapter too, however the problem occurs
each and every time.

If the Shrewsoft VPN Client development team requests any specific tests
on my machine in order to resolve the issue, I am available to help in
any way I can.

Regards,
Nick