[vpn-help] IKE Servcie crashing or noresponsive after computer sleeps

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Aug 8 22:08:06 CDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 06:08 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 31/7/2013 11:51 μμ, Chad Geisler wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if it has been reported or if anyone is aware that in
>> many cases the ShrewSoft IKE Daemon service either crashes or is
>> non-responsive after the windows 7/windows 8 computer goes into
>> standby when the VPN tunnel is connected.
>
> I am sure it has been reported multiple times.
>
> Here is a thread I opened a few days ago, for this issue:
>
> https://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2013-July/014526.html
>
> I hope sometime they fix it. Standby should not cause IKE Services to hang.

I standby my machine every night with the VPN connected.  When I wake
the machine the next day, Shrew auto-reconnects without an issue.

I'm doing this on a wired PC however, so maybe wireless devices are
different - and it may also be adapter specific.  Mine is a Realtek.

Another thing to consider is the power management settings.  Mine
machine is set to never sleep (only manually) but I do have my adapter
power settings set to enable "Allow the computer to turn off this device
to save power," but I know a lot of people disable this setting.  Maybe
Shrew looks for a power management signal and uses that as the trigger
to tear down the tunnel and quiesce itself.