[vpn-help] iked not serving on port 500 and 4500 on Kubuntu

John Pearcey john at pearcey.net
Fri Jan 18 06:14:41 CST 2013

I downloaded the source from HEAD (Dec 16 2012) (since the stable
releases are over 2 years old) (http://www.shrew.net/download/ike)

I followed some instructions which I found here:
http://www.twobitcoder.com/?p=51#comment-267

Everything seems to have compiled and installed without any issues or
errors. I am running:

johnp at johndev:~$ uname -a
Linux johndev 3.0.0-25-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 13 17:58:59 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Where I run the demon I get the listed output:
|ii : created ike socket 0.0.0.0:500|
|ii : created natt socket 0.0.0.0:4500|
|## : IKE Daemon, ver 2.2.0|
|## : Copyright 2009 Shrew Soft Inc.|
|## : This product linked OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011|

However, using nmap, I can see that both sockets are closed. So when I
run the client qikea and try to connect (after adding a configuration),
the UI times out. The output is:

config loaded for site 'Planitas-john'

attached to key daemon ...

peer configured

iskamp proposal configured

esp proposal configured

client configured

local id configured

remote id configured

pre-shared key configured

bringing up tunnel ...

negotiation timout occurred

tunnel disabled

detached from key daemon

The VPN config is a working one from another (windows) machine which has
been imported from a .vpn file.

I need some help fault finding here - any ideas?