[vpn-help] Shrewsoft VPN Client not working properly after standby

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Sun Jul 28 10:49:52 CDT 2013

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your great piece of software, which I have been
using for some years almost flawlessly. Keep up the good work.

Recently, I have started using a Dell laptop running Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
It connects to a Cisco 3825 router running IOS v12.4(9)T2.

I am running Shrewsoft VPN Client v2.2.2 (Free Version).

The problem: If an established VPN Connection (over Ethernet, using UTP
cabling) is interrupted abnormally (i.e. not using an explicit -manual-
discconnect), then, the next time VPN is -explicitly, pressing the
Connect button- established (VPN seems to be established without
issues), no  Internet access is available (except local, on my home
private network; I am on a DSL line.) Neither usual Internet access is
possible, nor VPN access to our Org internal network. Pinging to known
public IP addresses does not work either - so it's not a DNS problem.

The situation (i.e. Shresoft VPN Client effectively not working any
more) cannot be resolved in any way, except by rebooting the machine. I
have tried restarting the Shrewsoft VPN Client, disabling and
re-enabling the Ethernet connection, but nothing works.

This is a consistent, reproducible problem. It usually happens when the
laptop is put to Standby mode by closing the lid, while VPN is active.
If I manually disconnect before Standby, then, after Standby VPN Client
works fine to establish a new connection. If I forget to disconnect
manually, it will need a reboot for the VPN Client to work correctly.

The same happens if Ethernet connection (physically) drops temporarily
while the VPN link is active. VPN appears to be up (by the way, I would
expect Shrewsoft VPN Client to understand the outage and drop the
connection automatically); If I attempt to manually Disconnect an
Connect again, I find myself in the above situation (VPN Client
connecting but not working).

Client Configuration Details:

    Adapter mode is "Virtual adapter and assigned address" (Auto
    Address/Netmask), MTU 1380, Auto Config: ike config pull,
    Fragm.: enable, Max packet size: 540 Bytes, Enable Dead Peer
    Detection, Enable ISAKMP Failure Notifications, Enable Client Login
    Banner],
    Authentication method is "Mutual PSK + XAuth", with ID Type: Key
    Identifier, Key ID string, (Remote ID: ID Type: Any) and
    Credentials: Pre-Shared Key.

No visible errors. "ipconfig" command output does not show any
difference between when (VPN is connected and) VPN is working and
actually NOT working.

The same problem was occurring with v2.2.1 (which I had initially tried
on the same laptop).

Please advise on how this can be resolved.

Thanks and regards,
Nick