[vpn-help] Header verification failed

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Mar 20 21:11:00 CDT 2013

On 02/08/2013 07:18 PM, Tiago Vasconcelos wrote:
> Server: strongSwan 4.6 (on Linux)
> Windows 7 native IPsec client: works
> Shrew 2.2.0-rc-2 client: not working

<snip>

> On the server side:
>
>   07[ENC] header verification failed
>   07[NET] received invalid IKE header from 87.166.36.148 -   ignored
>   07[ENC] header verification failed
>   07[NET] received invalid IKE header from 87.166.36.148 - ignored
>

> What could cause this error "header verification failed"?

Hi Tiago,

My guess would be that the Shrew client configuration settings are not
correct for your strongSwan gateway.

The Shrew Access Manager output is not particularly useful for
debugging.  Could you instead generate a log file as described on the
Bug Report page:
http://www.shrew.net/support/VPN_Bug_Report_Windows

Remember to change the Log output level to something verbose like
informational or debug.

Then send us the log file and we'll take a look at it, it might tell us
something about the connection failure.