[vpn-help] Cannot Re-install VPN Client

Rodney Barnett barnett at ploughman-analytics.com
Thu Mar 21 13:29:12 CDT 2013

I'm having some strange problems with the networking on a laptop running
Windows XP.  As part of fixing that I'm trying to do a clean re-install of
the Shrew Soft VPN Client.

The initial uninstall reported no errors.  However, a re-install reports the
following error, but continues to completion upon clicking OK:
---------------------
    Error 0x8000f0203: Couldn't install the network component
    Possible cause:
    There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
---------------------

After the installation, an attempt to establish a VPN connection fails with
"network unavailable".

A subsequent uninstall reports the following error, but continues to
completion:
    Error 0x1: Couldn't get an interface pointer to pflt.
    Possible cause:
    Incorrect function.

Repeating the cycle gives the same results even after a reboot.

Can anyone suggest a method to clean this up?

Thanks.

Rodney