[vpn-help] Shrewsoft VPN v.2.2.2 don't work with Windows 8.1 64bit

Jim Harle vpn at technicolor.com
Fri Nov 1 10:57:30 CDT 2013

Mike, I wish I could remember the exact steps I took to get things working after my 8.1 upgrade.  I also don't remember the specific symptom I experienced when trying to connect to the remote gateway - it may have been a negotiation timeout, but it also could have been an error related to the virtual adapter.

In any case, here are the steps I would take, if the problem happened to me again, and a simple uninstall/reboot/reinstall of the Shrew client didn't work:

- uninstall Shrew client
- remove any leftover traces of Shrew (program files / programdata / registry)
- remove any hidden non-present networking devices from device manager
- check that no Shrew filter drivers exist on the physical network interfaces; if so, remove them
- perform a 'netsh int tcp reset' and 'netsh winsock reset' from an administrative command prompt to "reset" the networking
- reboot and confirm all networking is functional
- install Shrew client "fresh"
- hope for the best!

HTH,

Jim