[vpn-help] Shrewsoft VPN client and Windows 8 problem

Jim Harle vpn at technicolor.com
Fri Oct 11 11:13:53 CDT 2013

I upgraded my physical PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 RTM (x64), and also had the Shrew client (2.2.2) stop working.  At first I thought it was a compatibility thing, but I installed Windows 8.1 RTM clean in a VM, installed Shrew, and it worked just fine.  So I knew then it wasn’t a compatibility thing, and also jives with what I understand about Windows 8.1, in that it doesn’t have “driver level” differences with Windows 8.

I’m going from memory here, but I believe I uninstalled Shrew from my physical PC, removed all of Shrew’s data files (I believe there is a folder under \programdata), removed all of the nonpresent devices from device manager (you can Google that procedure; if need be I can give it to you), which I *think* had some Shrew virtual adapters, rebooted, installed Shrew again, and it’s worked fine ever since.  Every once in a while I still have to cycle the Shrew services, but I believe that’s a known issue in the client itself.

HTH!

Jim