[vpn-help] connect-status of Shrew

Gerd Röthig gerd.roethig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 10:10:41 CDT 2013

Hello Torsten,

that is also an issue with the Shrew Soft client. There does not seem to be
a reliable watchdog mechanism which checks the availability of the servers
behind the VPN tunnel. This is in particular true if the client computer is
not used for some time and goes into a power-save mode. Dependent on the
particular hardware configuration, this can cause the network connection to
be interrupted on a physical level. This causes the VPN to be shut down by
the gateway as well. In some situations, Shrew Soft's VPN client does not
get aware of that and therefore does not display a "disconnected" state.

Only solution which spontaneously comes to my mind is disabling all power
save features, at least during the time the VPN is used. I usually also
connect my notebook to the power cord every time I use the VPN connection.

Kind regards,

Gerd