[vpn-help] Recurrent Dropped Connections

Jason Pepper jason.pepper at rocela.com
Thu Sep 19 05:15:45 CDT 2013

I support 55 users in our company with a mixed bag of VPN connectivity.

Since we started installing 64bit Win 7 we discovered there is no
compatible CheckPoint client for 64bit Windows.

Enter Shrew the saviour.. or so I thought.

I run OSX and Ubuntu as my primary operating systems but we install Win7
for our users.

Shrew on OSX and Ubuntu has worked flawlessly since I installed it, it
never drops.. period.

On Windows 7, however, I am receiving a flurry of complaints from users who
report (in different ways) that the connection is dying and the only way
they can seem to resurrect the connection is to reboot the computer. This
is (obviously) not acceptable. We have tried to isolate a set of
circumstances which cause this problem to reproduce at will but alas we
were unsuccessful.

I have trawled this forum and been subscribed for a while now, so I've seen
that people are experiencing similar issues and there appear to be various
suggestions for resolution (e.g. writing daemon-kill scripts) which seem a
little home-brew for me. Plus, none of the error scenarios completely match
the ones described by our users.

This is my first question on this forum so I don't want to illicit a
flame-flurry.

What is the best way to ask for assistance in resolving this problem ?

I have a bunch of IKE trace files I can supply if that helps someone help
me, but I didn't want to post them unbidden.

Also, please note I am primarily an Oracle and Java developer not a
security expert, so speak in simple terms (if that's possible !)

--
Many Thanks..

Jason Pepper