[vpn-help] Can't RDP over VPN in metro RDP app

Jacob McLein jmclein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 08:19:49 CDT 2014

I have a strange issue.  I recently purchased a Lenovo Tablet 2 running
windows 8.1.  My company uses the Cisco 5.0 VPN client.  This client
doesn't work with Windows 8 so started using Shrewsoft  which seemed to
work well.  My issue is that I can't connect to any computer on my domain
when connected to VPN while using the rdp app from metro mode however if I
switch to the desktop and launch the rdp app from there I can connect
fine.  The metro app is a lot more touch friendly so I would prefer to use
that one.   If I am on the local network (not using VPN)  I can connect to
computers using the app in metro mode just fine.  This is really baffling
me.  A co-worker of mine did the same test and had the same problem so I am
thinking it has something to do with the VPN client since we can both RDP
fine with the app when on the local network.  Anyone have any ideas?