[vpn-help] HELP?

coremd at thedoctor-is-in.com coremd at thedoctor-is-in.com
Thu Jul 24 14:28:14 CDT 2014

To whom it may concern,

If this is not the correct place to send a question, please tell me where to
post.

I am using Shrewsoft Version 2.2.2 to connect to a Cisco SA500 router.

I Have listed the pertinent settings below but here is my problem:

I can get a connection without any problem and I am able to Ping the remote
server, send and receive SQL Server messages and Map remote drives, etc.

HOWEVER there are times (and it fairly frequent) when the connection seems
to get lost even though Shrewsoft says it is still connected? When this
happens I lose all connectivity to the remote (I cannot ping, access mapped
drives or use the remote SQL Server).

Additionally I do not see myself as a user on the VPN router.

This happens whether my local computer is connected using wires, wirelessly,
though a switch, directly to my local router with no one else on the remote
or local network and on the following local operating systems: XP, Vista and
Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit).

Once I lose the connectivity I can disconnect Shrewsoft and reconnect
without a problem, but there is still no functionality unless I wait several
minutes. Then all works again for a while before I lose function again.

Can someone please help me make the connection stable?

Thank you in advance.

Corey Ziff

The Shrewsoft vpn file is set as follows:

n:version:4

n:network-ike-port:500

n:network-mtu-size:1380

n:client-addr-auto:1

n:network-natt-port:4500

n:network-natt-rate:15

n:network-frag-size:540

n:network-dpd-enable:0

n:client-banner-enable:1

n:network-notify-enable:1

n:client-dns-used:1

n:client-dns-auto:0

n:client-dns-suffix-auto:1

n:client-splitdns-used:0

n:client-splitdns-auto:1

n:client-wins-used:0

n:client-wins-auto:1

n:phase1-dhgroup:2

n:phase1-life-secs:86400

n:phase1-life-kbytes:0

n:vendor-chkpt-enable:0

n:phase2-life-secs:3600

n:phase2-life-kbytes:0

n:policy-nailed:0

n:policy-list-auto:0

s:network-host:   XX.XXX.XXX.XXX (I have a real external IP address here)

s:client-auto-mode:pull

s:client-iface:direct

s:network-natt-mode:enable

s:network-frag-mode:enable

s:client-dns-addr: XX.XXX.XXX.XXX (I have a real internal IP address here)

s:auth-method:mutual-psk-xauth

s:ident-client-type:fqdn

s:ident-server-type:fqdn

s:ident-client-data:remote.com

s:ident-server-data:local.com

b:auth-mutual-psk:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I changed this value for this email)

s:phase1-exchange:aggressive

s:phase1-cipher:auto

s:phase1-hash:auto

s:phase2-transform:esp-3des

s:phase2-hmac:sha1

s:ipcomp-transform:disabled

n:phase2-pfsgroup:0

s:policy-level:auto

s:policy-list-include:  XX.XXX.XXX.XXX / XX.XXX.XXX.XXX (I have a real
internal IP address/mask here)

s:client-saved-username: *************

The SA540 settings are as follows:

IKE TAB UNDER VPN

IKE Policy Configuration

Policy Name :
ShrewClient

Direction/Type:                                                Responder

Exchange Mode:                                              Aggressive

Local Identifier Type:                                      FQDN

Local Identifier:                                                 local.com

Remote  Identifier Type:                              FQDN

Remote  Identifier:                                         remote.com

Encryption Algorithm:                                    3DES

Authentication Algorithm:                           SHA-1

Authentication Method                                Pre-Shared Key

Pre-shared key:                                                XXXXXXXXXX

Diffie-Hellman (DH) Group:                         Group 2 (1024)

SA-Lifetime (sec):                                            28800

Enable Dead Peer Detection:                      No (unchecked checkbox)

Detection Period:                                            10

Reconnect after failure count:                   3

XAUTH Configuration:                                    Edge Device

Authentication Type:                                     User Database

User Name:                                                        (blank)

Password:                                                           (blank)

VPN POCICY TAB UNDER VPN

Policy Name:
ShrewClient

Policy Type:                                                        Auto
Policy

Select Local Gateway:                                    Detected WAN

Remote Endpoint:                                           FQDN

remote.com

Enable Mode Config:                                      No (unchecked
checkbox)

Enable NetBIOS?:                                            No (unchecked
checkbox)

Enable RollOver:                                               No (unchecked
checkbox)

Local IP"
Subnet

Local IP Start Address:                                   XXX.XXX.XXX.0

End IP Address:                                                blank textbox

Subnet Mask:
255.255.255.0

Remote IP                                                           Any

Remote Start Address:                                  blank textbox

End IP address:                                                 blank
textbox

Subnet Mask:                                                    blank
textbox

Manual Policy Parameters

SPI-Incoming:                                                    0x

SPI-Outgoing:                                                    0x

Encryption Algorithm:                                    3DES

Key-In:
blank textbox

Key-Out:                                                              blank
textbox

Integrity Algorithm                                          SAH-1

Key-In:
blank textbox

Key-Out:                                                              blank
textbox

Auto Policy Parameters

SA Lifetime:                                                        3600

Encryption Algorithm                                     3DES

Integrity Algorithm                                          SHA-1

PFS Key Group:                                                 YES (checked
checkbox)

DH Group 2 (1024 bit)

Select IKE Policy                                                ShrewClient

Redundant VPN Gateway Parameters

Enable Redundant Gateway:                      NO (unchecked checkbox)

Select Back- up Policy                                     blank disabled
dropdown list

Failback time to switch:                                 30 Seconds

from back-up to primary