[vpn-help] Can't connect to Cisco ASA that worked fine yesterday

Nathan Stone nathan at enots.com
Thu Mar 20 15:59:42 CDT 2014

I have an issue with Shrewsoft that seems to have happened over night. Connecting to a Cisco ASA 5510. Was working yesterday and now today it connects, but after 33 seconds I get the message "session terminated by gateway"

I am running Windows 8.1, have a remote staff person that uses this all day long and it is doing the same for her. She has Windows 8. As a test I installed the client on a Windows 7 32bit install and I get the same behavior. From a different Windows 7 computer, with the Cisco client I can connect just fine.

I checked Windows updates and nothing has been installed.

Logged in to the ASA. Nothing has changed in months and the last time it was rebooted was almost 200 days ago. I rebooted it anyway to see if that would help, but it doesn't.

I have another client with a Cisco ASA 5505 and I can still connect to their IPSec VPN. So it is something with this particular firewall and ShrewSoft combination. I created another VPN on this firewall and it is doing the same thing.

Here is what shows in the ShrewSoft VPN Connect tab

config loaded for site 'OSM'
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
remote id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
network device configured
tunnel enabled
session terminated by gateway
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon

If I switch to the Network tab, under Security Associations it shows Failed - 2.

I am at a loss, anyone have any ideas at all?

Nathan