[vpn-devel] Contribution to Linux IKE sources?

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Jun 28 13:05:02 CDT 2010

On 6/8/2010 4:41 AM, Guido Classen wrote:
> Hello vpn-devel mailing list,

Hi Guido,

> I use the IKE software for several time on windows and I like
> the easy way it provides to configure a VPN connection.
>
> Now I started using it on linux and had a first look at the source code.
> Goal should be porting the daemon and client to an ARM-linux based embedded
> system.

Sounds like a great project. A working ARM port would be very useful.

> Due I have no experience using Cmake I created rudimentary GNU-Make
> based makefiles and was able to build a working version of the libraries and
> the daemon on Debian-Linux.

Hmm. We won't be integrating any patches that move away from CMake. Its
quite easy to use and will build native make files on all the platforms
we are interested in.

> Further I created a GUI-less variant of ikec, which enables to connect
> to the VPN from command line. So it is possible to establish VPN connections
> from shell script, e.g. on system startup.

If you plan to submit patches, please make sure they are against the
head branch. If you have a look, there are updated versions of the Qt
front end applications as well as a command line version of ikec. It
sounds like you rewrote the latter.

> I want to ask if someone is interested in sharing my results or contributing
> them?

Definitely any changes that are required to work correctly on ARM. We
can talk about your other changes more, but it sounds like we already
have the extra functionality you added.