[Vpn-help] iked start script, Feisty 32 bit

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Sep 2 12:30:22 CDT 2007

charles morrison wrote:
> I understand.
>
> I was just wondering if there were a reason it would not work. I have
> already used the skeleton script and modified it to make it start iked
> on boot, but iked does not start using my script, so I was wondering if
> there is any reason in the way you made iked start that would prevent

There may be an issue. To be honest I haven't gone through the motions
of testing this yet.

> The init.d script starts daemons for other programs and allows the user
> to start/stop/restart, and set run priority levels. I am trying to add
> Shrewsoft to init.d. I will work on getting it to work and when I finish
> will post it for the list.

Thanks for your help with this. I attempted to build an init script this
morning to run some tests but had some issues. It would be good to make
sure it can autostart on at least one Linux platform so that may as well
be Ubuntu/Kubuntu :)

> Example: Are there other daemons that are required to be running before
> starting the VPN? I am sure the ethernet connection daemon must be
> started. Any others?

Nothing comes to mind. If there is a racoon ( from ipsec-tools ) init
script to reference, it should be setup the same way. The Shrew Soft
iked is a drop-in replacement for that.

> My goal is to make an icon on the desktop that will start iked and ikea
> when I want to use the VPN. I am attempting to do this using init.d. If
> you have another suggestion, I'll look into it.

I agree that init.d is the right thing to do. I may be doing something
wrong in iked that makes it incompatible somehow. I just need to find
some good documentation on the system. I tried to man init.d and didn't
see anything. There were also no useful references in the init man page :(

I'll hack on this some more and let you know what I find out.

> Charlie Morrison
>
> Linux Fest is here in Columbus the end of the month. I'll bring up
> putting Shrewsoft into a distribution when I attend.

Very cool. Thanks :)