[Vpn-help] Linking to Symantec 360R device

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Nov 10 19:14:41 CST 2008

Michael Savage wrote:
> I need to connect to this device as Symantec is not releasing a Vista
> client.
>
> So, I've been attempting to get it working.
>
> It seems to connect alright, except for bringing up the tunnel This
> times out.
>
> Questions:
> !) Have I successfuy connected to the device, if I get this far?
> 2) If so, what could be the timeout problem? i.e. where in the config
> can I set this, or is it in the device?
> 3) IF not, what am I missing. The device uses a shared secret key and
> has 2 keys for phase 1. (I see no setting in the device for Phase 2
> parameters) Do I understand this as well?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Mike,

If the client reports that a connection timeout has occurred, this means
phase1 did not complete. In other words, a phase1 parameter was rejected
by the gateway, no response was sent, and the client reported a timeout.
Besides comparing the client proposal, authentication and identity
parameters with the gateway configuration, your next best option is to
examine the log output generated by the gateway. Error messages are
usually logged when a connection attempts fails. By examining these, its
typically not too difficult to identify and correct the setting that
caused the connection to fail.

If you find some relevant log output and need some help deciphering the
meaning, feel free to forward it to me in a private email and I will do
what I can to help.