[Vpn-help] Vista 64

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Dec 10 03:00:39 CST 2009

Grant Robinson wrote:
> I have installed Shrew Soft 2.1.5 on a Sony Vaio with Vista 64, and when
> I uninstalled the app, I received a BSOD upon reboot.  After upgrading
> to 2.1.6 in safe mode, the issue resolved.
>
> I have never been able to connect this box to the VPN (other Vista 64
> machines work fine).  It either gives me a negotiation timeout error
> (Phase 1 and 2 encryption are correct.  I’ve triple checked this), or it
> tells me that the network isn’t available.  I can ping the peer address
> and the internet in spite of this error message.

Have you looked at the debug log output? See any error messages? When a
negotiation timeout occurs, it typically means its not getting a
response from the gateway. That usually means the gateway doesn't like
the phase1 proposal and is discarding the packet.

> Also, when I reinstall the app, it keeps populating the application with
> a preinstalled connection.  I delete the program files and the files
> located in the user folder, but that doesn’t seem to work.  How do I
> uninstall this app completely and any ideas on what’s going on with the
> connection?

The uninstaller doesn't remove the site configurations which are stored
in the registry. If you want them gone after the uninstall, remove this
registry key ...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ShrewSoft\vpn