[vpn-help] Ubuntu 9.10 problem

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Dec 19 15:36:27 CST 2009

On 12/18/2009 5:50 AM, Roberto Greiner wrote:
> Ai,
>
> I'm trying to make iked work in an Ubuntu 9.10 box, to connect to a
> Cisco IPSec Catalyst router with an IPSec appliance board.
>
> Using the synaptic package (2.1.4), the client connects, but no traffic
> passes. From the same box, using 2.1.5 and a windows station, everything
> works fine, so I decided to download/compile version 2.1.5, to see if
> there was some problem with the 2.1.4 version preventing it to work.
>
> I´ve managed to compile the program, install it, all ok. But when I try
> to run it, I get the following message:
>
> iked: error while loading shared libraries: libike.so.2.1: cannot open
>
> I´ve searched for this library, and found that it is in the folder
> /usr/local/lib, with 644 permission, owned by root. Could somebody give
> me a hand understanding why iked can´t access this library?
>
> Tks,

Hi Roberto,

My guess is that when you compiled and installed the software, it got
placed in a different prefix than the package. By default, it uses the
/usr/local/ prefix for installation. I believe the package is setup to
create a /usr/lib/ike prefix to install the libraries but I'm not sure
why. In any case, you probably have binaries and libraries in different
locations and the correct version of libraries can't be found. Have you
tried uninstalling the package and then re-running the 'make install'
step from the compiled version?