[Vpn-help] New Releases, Development Update and Other Stuff ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Jan 14 02:26:15 CST 2009

All,

I just posted a 2.2.0 Alpha 3 and a 2.1.5 Beta 1 on the website. In
response to several bug reports related to Windows standby and resume
operations, both releases contain an updated 2K/XP that has all power
management, NDIS request and packet reference code rewritten. I spent a
lot of time making sure the new code was compliant and well tested. The
other common change was adding proper handling of multiple certificate
request payloads. This was required for interoperability with StronSWAN
and possibly other gateways.

The 2.2.0 Alpha 3 build contains several other notable changes. The Qt
based ikea and ikec applications have been ported to Qt version 4 and
renamed ikea-qt and ikec-qt. A new command line version of ikec ( VPN
Connect ) application is now included in the distribution. All library
files are now built and installed as shared objects on Unix. An prefix
is used to avoid any naming conflicts.

There have also been some support web site changes. The trac system was
added some time ago but only the wiki was being actively used. The web
based source code repository browser is now usable. I have also been
trying to enter new problem reports in as tickets and assigning them to
milestones instead of keeping track of them manually. *Please*, if you
have reported a problem and don't see a ticket related to your issue,
let me know and I will create one so the details won't get buried in the
mailing list archive or my inbox.

http://www.shrew.net/support/report/1

A very nice Linksys wiki article has been contributed by Drew Flickema
and we have a few more on the way. If anyone is interested in writing an
article for a new gateway platform, please contact me.

Lastly, I just got done building a new set of VM servers for the Lab
based on VMware ESXi. The old hardware used dual core AMD processors
which suffer from very bad clock drift using VMWare which is reportedly
due to unsynchronized TCSs. This made it very difficult to test the IKE
daemon since it relies heavily on accurate timing to handle rekey and
other event processing. The new servers are Quad Core Intel processors
with 8 Gigs of RAM and 2TB of drive space each. It wasn't cheap but we
shouldn't be in need of hardware to test different operating system
variants in the future.