[Vpn-help] Is there a way to connect to Smoothwall?

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Sep 9 00:37:37 CDT 2009

Cinghiuz wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> This is my first post and I take time to send my best greetings to everybody
> and to thank the developers to provide us this greatefull package.
>
> I did some tests with Cisco equipment and everything works fine, it's really
> interesting know that you could use this VPN Client in a 64 bit environment
> :)
>
> Well now the problem is, how I can connect my Windows XP client to a
> Smoothwall firewall running Smoothtunnell? They have a script called
> Smoothl2tpwizard or Vistal2tpwizard that creates an LT2P connection for you
> using a pem and a p12 certificates, I added them in the Shrew VPN Client,
> but it doesn't work.
>
> Is there someone that can help me?

Hi Cinghiuz,

 From the name of the script you mentioned "Smoothl2tpwizard", I assume
your Smoothwall requires an L2TP/IPsec client. This is actually the L2TP
protocol inside of IPsec. The Shrew Soft VPN Client is a pure IPsec
client so unfortunately I don't think it will work for you. However, I
believe later Windows OSs may have an integrated L2TP/IPsec client ...

Hope this helps,