[vpn-help] Can't access internet after installing

Kathryn Hammel kathrynhammel at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 14:06:19 CDT 2010

Hi,
  I'm hoping someone can help.  I'm not much of a network person, but I need a new vpn for connecting to my work.  I got a new laptop wtih Windows 7 and my old Cisco vpn will not work on the new Windows.  I heard about Shrew Soft and wanted to try it.  I've downloaded multiple 2.1.6 versions and every time I download one, I can no longer connect to the internet.  I'm not even connecting to the vpn.  It just prevents all internet access without vpn.  It seems to be a DNS issue.  I've read posts talking about disabling some DNS proxy??  But, I don't know where you are supposed to do that or that it's the same issue.  I open up my IE and type any webpage like google or cnn and can't connect.  As soon as I uninstall the Shrew Soft vpn, I can now connect again.  Looking at my network connections, it shows I can connected to my home network but from my home network to internet, there is no connection.  I know our home network has some
 protection... could this be causing a problem??

Can someone please help a novice network person?  Thanks!