[vpn-help] Can't access internet after installing

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Apr 20 01:22:47 CDT 2010

On 4/11/2010 2:06 PM, Kathryn Hammel wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm hoping someone can help. I'm not much of a network person, but I
> need a new vpn for connecting to my work. I got a new laptop wtih
> Windows 7 and my old Cisco vpn will not work on the new Windows. I heard
> about Shrew Soft and wanted to try it. I've downloaded multiple 2.1.6
> versions and every time I download one, I can no longer connect to the
> internet. I'm not even connecting to the vpn. It just prevents all
> internet access without vpn. It seems to be a DNS issue. I've read posts
> talking about disabling some DNS proxy?? But, I don't know where you are
> supposed to do that or that it's the same issue. I open up my IE and
> type any webpage like google or cnn and can't connect. As soon as I
> uninstall the Shrew Soft vpn, I can now connect again. Looking at my
> network connections, it shows I can connected to my home network but
> from my home network to internet, there is no connection. I know our
> home network has some protection... could this be causing a problem??
> Can someone please help a novice network person? Thanks!

To prevent the DNS proxy from starting when you boot your computer.
Right click on your computer icon and select 'Manage'. Expand 'Services
and Applications' in the left hand tree view then select 'Services'.
Locate the 'Shrew Soft DNS Proxy Daemon', right click and select
properties. Click the 'Stop' button and then change the startup type to
'Manual'. Click OK. You have now disabled the service and prevented it
from loading at boot time.