[vpn-help] XP64 Virtual Adapter will not install

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Jan 10 15:44:25 CST 2010

On 1/10/2010 12:03 PM, Jeff Haferman wrote:

> 2.1-5 was the first that I installed; however I previoulsy had Cisco Anyconnect (I believe version 2.2) and they upgraded to 2.4 recently, which does not install either - interestingly the problem occurred when they try to install their virtual adapter.
>
> It appears both Shrewsoft and Cisco VPN clients have been removed, but there could be remnants lying around.

Hi Jeff,

You can try to install an instance of the Shrew Soft Virtual Network
adapter manually using the add/remove hardware wizard. When it asks for
the driver, you can point it to the [install path]/drivers directory and
then select the virtualnet.inf file. If this works, our installer
application is likely the cause of your issue. Rebooting the machine may
even provide a working vpn client. I'm not sure. Also, check for any
unknown network adapter devices and remove them using the device manager
before attempting the manual installation.

For reference, I just did some quick tests on a fresh install using the
Windows XP 64bit edition and it worked without any problem. I know that
doesn't help your situation much, but it does suggest a problem related
to something unique to your system.